Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Value of the Enneagram

I have found the Enneagram personality types system the most useful tool in my life. The Enneagram is a description of 9 unique ways of seeing and experiencing life. I've been teaching the Enneagram for 18 years and through this system, I am still constantly learning a lot about myself, understanding personality differences, developing the best traits of each type in myself, and relating well to each type (knowing their strengths and weaknesses). Each type is relatively predictable in their concerns, behaviors and communication styles. People make so much sense when you know this information. I've taught a few thousand Enneagram workshops and I am still amazed how useful and accurate it is.

In case you don't know the Enneagram here's a brief summary of the types, parts of which each of us have. One type, called the core type, is more automatic to the way you are (requires no effort to be that) and dominant in one's basic motivation, thinking process, perspective, filtering system, etc. There are typical behaviors in each type but behavior is less representative of type than why someone is doing what they are doing. The Types:

Type 1 - The Perfectionist/Reformer - avoids mistakes, imperfection
Type 2 - The Overhelper/Cheerleader - avoids their own needs
Type 3 - The Overachiever/Winner - avoids failure
Type 4 - The Depth Seeker/Romantic - avoids everyday, humdrum life
Type 5 - The Knowledge Seeker/Observer - avoids expression of personal feelings
Type 6 - The Security Questioner/Loyalist - avoids the insecure unknown
Type 7 - The Optimist/Fun Lover - avoids pain
Type 8 - The Director/Powerhouse - avoids vulnerability
Type 9 - Peacemaker/Accommodator - avoids conflict

I'm doing an advanced Enneagram workshop in Andover MA on Wed Oct 1 from 9:30-3:30 (very inexpensive) at a beautiful villa and an Enneagram Basic workshop on Fri Oct 10 evening and an advanced workshop the next day Sat from 2-6 in Arlington MA. Go to my website, www.herbpearce.com for more info or email me at herb@herbpearce.com. I'm happy to chat about the Enneagram. Send me any questions or comments.
Herb Pearce, www.herbpearce.com, herb@herbpearce.com, 781 648 3737.

14 comments:

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Hey Herb,

Congratulations on your blog launch!

OK, 35 days to go to the US presidential election. Everyone seems to agree that Obama is either a 3 or 9 (his resume argues 3; his public manner argues 9). McCain is generally considered an 8 but I think he acts more like a 1 (and Riso apparently thinks he's a 6). Biden appears to me to be a 7 with 8 wing or 3 with 2 wing; and I just don't know about Palin. Your latest thoughts?

Herb Pearce said...

Thanks for your first blog response to my site!! I think Obama is a 9/1, still think McCain is a 1 but I could possibly be convinced otherwise and I think Palin is an 8 and Biden I'll watch tonite. It's fun talking about the candidates - increases observational skills.
Herb Pearce

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Herb, if Palin is an 8 she's got a 7 wing, right? She does have the fearlessness and feistiness of an 8 - which endears her to (some) working class voters. She also has that positive 7 energy. Biden has some chameleon 3 qualities, but he has such "big energy" I'm thinking he might be a 7 with an 8 wing. But we'll all get a better sense after watching them tonight in the VP debate.

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Herb, do you have a particular way to quickly distinguish a 3 from a 7 with an 8 wing?

JOHN O'LEARY said...

After watching the debate last night, I'm thinking Palin has some real 3 qualities - especially the flexibility to adapt to a particular audience (Joe & Jill Sixpack.) She sounded like she was on a casting call for Fargo.

JOHN O'LEARY said...

After watching some of the Fox interview with Palin ABOUT her debate performance, I'm even more uncertain. She switched back to a tougher persona - more 8-like - in the interview, but it showed how easily she can do personality shifts.

Herb Pearce said...

I do think Palin is an 8/7 as you described very accurately in your post. 7/8, possibly Biden, would be more into ideas and more "explosive" than a 3 who would be a bit more calculated and image oriented. A 7/8 could easily make the blunders that sometimes Biden does - more impulsive than a 3.

Palin does have some of the 3 glitz and glitter but I think power and control is still dominant. It's a good question about checking out her 3ness. She is coached to be more like a 3 I think (don't do committed statements like an 8 might do (like say what you think) - be more generic like a 3 might do to please everyone). Herb

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Herb, if McCain is a 1 where does this independent, rebel, maverick thing come from? (He WAS a legitimate maverick at one time, though less so now.) Would that be the connection to 4?

Herb Pearce said...

I was thinking of the same question myself about McCain and maverick. Of course when you think of maverick, 8 pops up more as the type more like that. 1 goes to 4 in stress and is typically unhappy, depressed, into self-pity, dramatic, upset, crying, etc., not so maverick seeming. 1s can be a maverick, in and of themselves, like Ralph Nader, a 1. They can fight the good fight and go against what they perceive as wrong. Other types with a maverick edge could be the counterphobic 6, some 4s, 5 who don't mind being different, 7/8. Herb

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Good point. That might argue for McCain being an 8 after all. What has you conclude he's not an 8?

Herb Pearce said...

McCain could be an 8 but he seems too nervous, but maybe he's just anxious. He just doesn't seem to have the overconfidence of an 8 in some ways. If you see a video of his life, let me know and I'll watch it. Herb

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Great point about McCain's nervousness. He also seems to be second-guessing himself a lot. And he has a history of beating himself up for mistakes he's made. He's a more complicated dude than he first appears.

Herb Pearce said...

I think Obama is a 9/1
Biden is a 7
McCain is a 6
Palin is a 3 (before I thought she was an 8
Herb

JOHN O'LEARY said...

You might be right on those types. Maybe...
• McCain 6/7 (he was a quite the drinker/womanizer when he was young)
• Palin 3/2 (or 2/3? She reminds me of my sister in law who's a 2/3 with a strong 8 connection)
• Biden 7/8 (BIG energy)